So much of modern family life centers on our children’s sports and activities. However, in addition to the positive gains brought by active participation in organized sports and creative activities, there are numerous challenges to family life. Our parent surveys and conversations with families have highlighted these challenges:
- I have to be in two places at the same time. – How can we manage the family schedule?
- He’s going to go far in football. – Is it dad’s dream or the child’s dream?
- Sara’s a superstar but Tony is a couch potato. – Is it his nature or should I push him?
- I need some time for myself. – Do I have to sit through every soccer practice?
- I have to do more for him to excel. – Is he truly gifted or is he on overload?
When our children reach high school and join the world of competitive athletics additional issues emerge. Over 3,000 coaches and Athletic Directors responded to a recent nationwide survey conducted by Growing Great Relationships (GGR) in conjunction with the National High School Coaches Association (NHSCA) that revealed some highly insightful information concerning the relationships and needs of coaches, student athletes and their parents as they strive to gain the most from participating in high school sports.
- Over 50% of coaches find over involved parents as their number one concern.
- More than 80% of coaches and athletic directors report that playing time is a parents’ greatest concern.
- Almost 70% of coaches want parents to support them by keeping them informed of personal difficulties that their child is having at home.
- Coaches and athletic directors overwhelmingly stressed the need for parents and students not to use social media and gossip with other parents about the team and their expertise.
GGR and NHSCA are recommending school districts adopt the Coach /Athlete / Parent Partnership – CAP PACT™ initiative to promote the most productive relationships among athletes, coaches and parents. The CAP PACT™ will promote those values and practices that can be put in place that ensures mutual respect, effective communication and strong partnerships so needed to make the athletic experience fulfilling for all concerned.
Contact us for questions or assistance.